Royal Yachting Association (RYA) Inland Waterways Helmsman Certificate Course

Leisure and Commercial Skipper training for the inland waterways.

Workboat orientated. Discounts apply for bookings of up to three candidates.

This is the basic licence to operate commercial vessels on the category ‘A’ & ‘B’ waters of the inland waterways and the licence likely to be requested by insurance companies for new boaters.

Link from here to RYA Inland Waterways Helmsman page which will be text 1b to follow

Royal Yachting Association (RYA) Powerboat Handling Level 2

The two-day RYA Powerboat Level 2 Certificate Course entry level course provides the skills and background knowledge needed to drive a powerboat and is the basis of the International Certificate of Competence (ICC). It is also a prerequisite for many rescue boat courses.

Focusing on low speed close quarters handling, man overboard recovery, an introduction to driving at planing speed and collision regulations. The course can be taken at an inland or a coastal location.

Royal Yachting Association (RYA) First Aid training course (1 day)

Covering essential elements not found on your ‘standard’ first aid course; such as the protocol for drowning within CPR, Cold Shock, Secondary drowning, crushing, amputations and use of tourniquets. Boat / watercourse related incidents.

£115.00 per candidate with additional ‘Category ‘C’ Medical Stores element (required for commercial vessel purposes).

‘Inland Waters Rescue Boat Operator’ course – ‘IWRBO’

Bridging the gap in training provision for rescue boats.

The ‘Inland Waters Rescue Boat Operator’ course is ideal for companies and organisations providing rescue vessels, whose operators will be working in daylight hours, predominantly in ‘land-locked’ counties in particular those with a high density of navigable waterways.

Link from here 1c to Inland Waters Rescue Boat Operator page

CRT CAATS ‘Workboat’ plus ‘Small / Inflatable Craft’ Direct Assessment

The Canal & River Trust ‘In-House’ licencing scheme for CRT staff operating workboats, or small / inflatable craft on the inland waterways. ‘Workboat’ prerequisite is the RYA IWHC. (see above)

These Workboat and Small / Inflatable craft programmes are not ‘courses’, rather, practical assessments. 3:1 booking only. CRT CAATS ‘Small & Inflatable Craft’ training by appointment.

Birmingham & Midland Marine Services Ltd are Canal & River Trust approved contractors, trainers & assessors. (CAATS).