DEFRA Module 1) with optional ‘Annex H’ syllabus: Outreach Rescue ‘Water Safety / Rescue Awareness’
The Outreach Rescue ‘Water Safety / Rescue Awareness’, one-day course complies with the DEFRA ‘Flood Rescue Concept of Operations’ scheme (November 2019 revision) at DEFRA Module / Level 1) Water Awareness.
Covering ‘open water’, ‘still water’, ‘rivers’, ‘lifejacket-user’, ‘co-worker rescues’ amongst other highly practical skills for personnel working on, near or above the water.
Our water safety & rescue courses are CDM Regulations 2015 and DEFRA compliant.
‘Annex H’ training – for EA / non 999 personnel available by arrangement.
Full aquatic PPE can be hired if required.
This course also ticks the boxes for ‘blue-light’ agencies, both full-time, part-time, and of course the voluntary sector such as Search & Rescue and Mountain Rescue Teams.
To enable students to understand the issues and hazards associated in working on, near and in water and to undertake a suitable rescue response from the bank. ‘Annex H’ considerations for flood & ‘in-water’ operations.
Annex ‘H’ Syllabus – Courses can be tailored to your working practices & environment.
- Use of PFD / Life Jacket
- Throwline Characteristics
- Throwline Practical
- Swimming Skills
- Rescue from Water
- Limitations of Training
- Identification of hazards in the water environment
- Risk mitigation
- Hydrology: Still water & River
- Safety measures when working near water.
- Physiology effects of cold-water entry
- Physiology of drowning
- Emergency action planning
- Low risk rescue options
- Hierarchy of rescues
- Rescue equipment – throwbags, wading poles and reach rescue system.
- Aquatic PPE including drysuit user’s induction, lifejackets, and buoyancy aids.
- Wading – individual & group
- Flood environment considerations
- Co-worker rescues from the bank
- Accidental Immersion – Defensive & aggressive swimming in the event of an accidental immersion
- Health and welfare
- Medical considerations
Course places start from
- £225.00 (Annex ‘H’) per candidate plus venue / kit hire costs if applicable. Full day. (Based on 6-8 candidates)
- £185.00 per candidate plus venue / kit hire costs if applicable. Full day(Based on 8-12 candidates)
- £85.00 per candidate, half-day, classroom, and dry land practical course. (Based on 12 candidates) Please see the ‘Shore-Based’ / ‘Classroom Orientated’ courses page